Friday, July 1, 2011

Back to normal?

Ricky is making huge strides everyday!  This past Monday he went back for a recheck to make sure he is headed on the right path.  Dr. Richards said he has lost some weight, and we have our fingers crossed that it is because the abdominal mass is subsiding.  He is much calmer when I reach in to get him so I can give him his medications.  He got the go-ahead from the doc to climb, perch, swing, fly, play, all that good stuff.

We got home from the vet and I realized that none of his toys in his cage would fit in his tank.  I went to Petsmart and got a new swing and a new toy for him.  It was hard to find one that would be big enough for him but not too big for the space, and it had to be attachable with a twist-tie.  I found a toy and a swing for him.  I originally put both in his tank, but I think it was a bit overwhelming.  I took the toy out a few days ago and today is the first day we have seen him up on his new swing!

Ricky perched on his swing.

After taking that last picture, he turned around on his perch as if to say, "Here, Mom... get my good side!"

We are almost out of the woods!  Ricky goes back to the vet next week for his 2-3 week recheck.  They will do another X-ray to see if the mass in his abdomen has in fact subsided.  If it has, the we will begin weening him off his meds in the hopes that whatever it was that made him so ill is behind us.  Of course, if his symptoms return, back to the vet, back to the meds.

When we first took him in, we were preparing ourselves for a permanent farewell.  Much to our surprise (and joy!) it wasn't.  We are all so very thankful that he has come as far as he has; it is a true miracle.  Keep up the work, big guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment