Let's get the not-so-great stuff out of the way first. Ricky, who was doing great, took a pretty sudden turn on Wednesday. We got the results of the blood work back, and he has liver disease. While I was had the vet on the phone, I explained to her Ricky's recent abnormal behavior. He was huddled in one corner rocking and bobbing his tail and he had hardly eaten since the night before. He was supposed to go back to the vet last Friday to be boarded while we attended a family thing out of town, but the vet changed it to Thursday. We ended up taking him in Wednesday night. On Friday we talked to the vet and she said that he was being more social (coming out of his corner), but was very quiet, not chatty, and was on a feeding tube since he still was not eating.
We got home around 5 this evening, and didn't hear anything while we were gone. No news is good news! Had he only gone in for boarding, we would be picking him up tomorrow, but since we don't know how stable he his, we will have to call in the morning and find out. It sucks since we have to board him again on Thursday because we are leaving town again. Well, Dad will be here some and then I will be back, but Dad keep an eye on him and doesn't feel comfortable to give him his medicines. I am crossing my fingers that he'll be home by dinnertime. :)
Now for the fun stuff! So, early yesterday morning we had to leave town, but before leaving I had to check on our little baby. Guess what! He is no longer a little baby! He has upgraded from hatchling to fledgling. For the first time, I saw him standing up, and he was actually on the edge of the nest! All I could think was "Go get your camera! This may be the last time you see him!" even though our fledgling last year took about 2 days to decide that it was time to leave the nest.When we got home this evening, the first thing I did was go outside and peek in the nest. Much to my dismay and joy, I returned to an empty nest - in every aspect: no dogs (they're boarded too), no Ricky, no baby. It's always sad to see our fledglings flee, but at the same time you feel proud. Not that I know first hand, but I imagine it to be similar to seeing your first child's first steps, or dropping your first child off for their first day of kindergarten. Luckily our little guy has a day or two head start before the dogs come back.
Also, I don't know if you guys know this, but clicking on the pictures will enlarge them. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment