Monday, July 4, 2011

Declaring One's Independence

Happy Independence Day, my fellow Americans!  Today is a day for celebration!  While the day, first and foremost, is to celebrate our independence from England, I like to use Independence Day to reflect on the accomplishments and goals that I achieved in my life independently.  My birth was not one of them.  The hatching of a baby bird, however, falls solely on the babe and his/her little egg tooth.
Which brings me to the main point of this post: WE HAVE A BABY!!!  It couldn't be a better day to declare one's independence from the egg!  He/SHe is very tiny and oh so cute!  Robins usually take 10-14 days to hatch, and I was getting worried since today is day 15.  Hopefully within the next 24-48 hours we will have hatchlings two and three.  We look forward to the babies every year, and every year is just as exciting as the one before.  We have yet to see Mama feed this one, but the good news is she will do it often, so there will be many photo ops.

It is hard not to get attached to these little guys and gals especially when you have been tracking their progress from nest to flight.  Each year, we feel like aunts, uncles, grandparents, surrogate parents, and so on to these little wonders of life.  We know we have to let "mother nature take its course", but it's nearly impossible with the cradle-robbing blue jays and other threats lurking on the horizon.  It's almost inevitable that something horrific will happen to at least one of these babies; unfortunately, it's just how nature works.  Even more unfortunate is the fact that it would be wrong to intervene (although the "extended family" has been know to do that!).


I know that I haven't been keeping up with posting about the nest, but to be honest, not much has happened.  Mama had been sitting on the nest constantly so I wasn't able to write much.  Now the excitement has picked up again, and I can't wait to see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment